Sunday, June 5, 2011

Pushing Through


"If you don't push yourself past the barrier, there's no way you're going to progress."   
~ Shaun T



June 7, 2010 - Day 1 of INSANITY

June 7, 2010 - Day 1 of INSANITY 


So, as you know, I've been working hard and sweating it out day after day in my basement.  I began this journey almost one year ago.  June 7, 2010 is my INSANITY "birthday".  Since the day I began, I've completed several rounds of INSANITY, did a month of P90X and dabbled in other Beachbody programs.  I thought I had gotten into fairly decent shape.  I lost weight.  I lost inches.  People were noticing and making comments about the changes in me.  It all felt great!!!  I was (am) very proud of the weight and inches I had lost during those rounds of INSANITY, but for some reason, I felt the urge to continue to push even harder and dig even deeper.  The best was yet to come......  

Entering The Asylum: 

May 1, 2011 - Day 1 of The Asylum 

May 1, 2011 - Day 1 of The Asylum


May 1, 2011 - INSANITY The Asylum Changes Everything
The beginning of May and entering The Asylum changed everything for me!  The Asylum is a 30 day, over-the-top-extreme fitness program featuring the same trainer (Shaun T) as in the INSANITY workouts.  It features sports specific drills involving an agility ladder, weights, resistance bands, a jump rope - every tool in the fitness trainer's tool box!      

Yesterday, was my Performance Assessment (or Fit Test) or Day 30 of INSANITY The Asylum.  The end of round 1 for me (since I plan to start round 2 on Monday)!!!  I found out through this assessment that I am stronger, faster, and have more inner gumption than I ever thought possible.  I was assessed in nine different areas in categories of speed, strength and agility.  From Day 1 to Day 30, I improved dramatically in all areas.  I am very proud of this accomplishment.  I also weighed and measured myself.  From Day 1 to Day 30, I lost an additional 8 pounds and 8.5 inches!

I know that most of you don't know what any of this means, but here are my Performance Assessment results (the first number is Day 1, the second number is Day 30):

Agility Heisman : 7 > 8
In/Out Ab Progression:  27 > 47
Lat Push-Up:  15 > 20
Mountain Climber Switch Kick:  60 > 80
Agility Shoulder Tap:  4 > almost 6
X Jump:  20 > 33
Moving Push-Up:  3 > 3.5
Agility Lateral Shuffle:  13 > 15.5
Agility Bear Crawl:  6 > 9.5

One thing I took away from this program is something that Shaun T says in one of the workouts.  He basically says that you can do anything you put your mind to if you have the MENTAL strength to do so.  He says "if you don't push yourself through the barrier, there is no way you are going to progress."  This is an incredibly important quote to remember and is significant in weight loss, fitness and life itself.  There are always going to be barriers that hold us back.  There will always be something that stops our progress, happiness, success, comfort.  We need to rely on our mental strength to push ourselves through those barriers and get better!  Shaun T also says, "if you left it up to your body, you'd have quit a long time ago".  This is so true!  Our mind is what gets us through everything - especially when the going gets tough!  What are your barriers?  What is something that is holding you back?  Will you make the commitment today to pushing through so you will see amazing progress on the other side?  30 days is not a lot of time and yet I have had the fastest and most satisfying results to date.  As I said, I plan to do another round.  
June 5, 2011 - The completion of Round 1 of The Asylum!


June 5, 2011 - The completion of Round 1 of The Asylum

June 5, 2011 - Round 1 Complete



One thing people need to keep in mind with fitness and weight loss is that there is no finish line!  It should be a daily activity (one which hopefully you enjoy), which delivers the results you are looking for in order to live a more healthy and fulfilling life.  I plan to keep pushing through barriers, working out in my basement, sweating my tush off, and continuing to be proud of myself for doing something I never thought possible.  Care to join me?

~ Cheers!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment