Tuesday, February 15, 2011

For Ladies Only

I am by no means a Fashionista or Style Guru.  I'm a simple jeans and tee shirt kind of girl.  In fact, Stacy London of "What Not To Wear" fame would most likely be horrified upon inspecting my wardrobe (which consists heavily of multiples of the same items).  When I find something I like, fits right, looks good and feels good, I duplicate!  That being said though, I have a GIANT issue when I see women wearing HORRIBLE bras..........

First and foremost, ladies....what is the DEALIO?  In my professional (and yes, I am a professional - more on that in a sec) opinion, too many women could give a rats patootie about lifting up "the sisters" and giving them the respect and platform (no pun intended) they deserve!  You know the ones I'm talking about!  The women who are content wearing a partially decaying, 4+ year old, stretched out, discolored (when upon closer inspection have teeny elastics fraying out all over the place) unsupportive or even (*GASP*!) a sports bra on a regular basis.  These foundations do absolutely nothing to show off the body parts they are meant to be highlighting. My goodness, I've even encountered some women who are still wearing the nursing bras they wore when feeding their baby (6 years ago).  In my opinion, there is absolutely no excuse for a bad bra.  Let me tell it to you straight.......get rid of 'em!!!  Every good, self-respecting woman needs to ditch the old and march themselves into the nearest lingerie-selling establishment and get a professional bra fit.  Professional you say?  Yes that's me, at your service!  Let the me and the experts help you!!  Part of my job is that I get to measure and fit women with the right foundations.  I will let you in on a couple little trade secrets - it ain't rocket science yet most women are wearing the wrong size and wrong fit!!!  It's an epidemic, but I'm here to rescue you from all your lingerie woes. 

You know when you see someone who could use a little (or a whole lotta) lift?  Wrong size!  You know what I mean when I say "back fat"?  Wrong size!  You know the photos in fancy lingerie catalogs of models whose ample cups runneth over?  Wrong size!  So I'm about to tell you the proper way to measure.  Now, you could try this at home, but I recommend and trust the professionals.  By the way, there's absolutely no need to be shy.  You can wear your own (elderly) bra and a form fitting tee shirt for a bra measure.  No need to feel uncomfortable as no skin will be showing!

~ Use a tape measure and somewhat tightly measure around where the band of the bra should rest (under the shoulder blades and right under "the girls"). 
~ Take this number and add 5 inches (say if you measure 29, then 29 + 5 = 34 so your band size is 34) if you are measuring an odd number (say if you measure 30, then 30 + 5 =35 round UP to 36 and your band size is 36).
~Then measure the fullest part of the chest.  Compare this number to the band SIZE not the band measurement.  So, if you're cup measures 38 and you measured a band SIZE of 36 that's a difference of 2 inches.  Are you following me?
Cup size determinations:
+1" = A cup
+2" = B cup
+3" = C cup
+4" = D cup
and so on.........

Here are some helpful hints/facts about wearing a proper bra.  The band should rest below your shoulder blades not high up on your back.  If it is too high up, it is too small.  There should be no space in between "the girls" and it should rest flat against your skin - if you can fit fingers up in between under the fabric, it's too small.  Every time you lose or gain weight, you should get re-measured and get a new one (even as little as 5-10 pounds)!  Unfortunately, as we age age our bodies age with us and things in that region change (c'est la vie!).  What you wore for a bra size in your 20s might not be the same size in your 40s.  Get fitted.  The band should take the brunt of the weight, NOT the straps!  Wearing a properly fitting bra lifts you up (obviously), shows off your waist, takes pressure off your back and shoulders and makes you look thinner!  Plus, it makes you feel more confident and better about yourself.

Go on, give yourself and your lady parts a little gift today.   While you're at it, why not go a little wild, ditch the white and nude colors and go for something pretty!

~Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment