Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Digging Deep

I am here to debunk the thinking that you cannot get a good, intense, effective workout by exercising in the comfort of your own home.  For most of my adult life, I have belonged to a gym.  Granted, I also own a treadmill, enjoyed running outdoors, and working out to exercise DVDs, but in the past, my "go to" place for sweating it out was always a gym.  When I purchased the workout set INSANITY, my thinking changed. Since beginning this program 9 months ago, I have worked out more regularly and frequently than any other time in my life.  If you don't think you have the ability to push yourself at home, don't sell yourself short - you can.  If you don't think you have the attention span to complete it - think again - once a workout gets "in your blood" you will not want to stop (and let's face it, the menial home tasks and laundry will always be there anyway).  Plus the awesome DVDs that Beachbody puts out all are led by amazing trainers who are incredible motivators.
Here's Shaun T and some of the INSANITY crew!  They look badass, don't they?  One of the great things about this workout is that some of the cast members were just "regular people" beforehand.  They went through the program in its testing phase and had tremendous success!  It's so motivating to see the results of a normal person who transformed their body in such a drastic way - makes me think I can do it too.  Also, I love the fact that they are all sweating, panting, raising their heart rates (to what sometimes feels like unnatural levels) and even collapsing from exhaustion right along side me.   



That's the man himself.  The King of INSANITY, Shaun T.  Shaun T is a superb trainer too.  He's constantly talking, encouraging, giving tips on proper form, telling me how to breathe, hold correct posture, and I love that he tells it like it is (plus he's nice to look at too).  One of my favorite quotes from him is "It's get fit or get out people!  I'm not trying to hurt you, just trying to make you better."


On Monday, I began Month 2 of INSANITY!!  Let the madness begin (again)!  Month 2 MAX workouts are around an hour long with (what seems like) double the intensity as the first month's workouts.  I am still sore from Monday's MAX Interval Circuit workout - ouch.  What makes INSANITY different from traditional workouts is the amount of time you spend pushing yourself to the limit.  In traditional workouts, you would generally exert a sustained moderate amount of energy/intensity throughout with short bursts of high intensity.  INSANITY workouts are just the opposite....you work as hard as you can for 3-4 minutes with a 30 second rest in between each burst of intensity.  It is extremely effective!  On the agenda for me for today is MAX Interval Plyo.  I'm ready (yikes)!!



  ~ Bring on the Diamond Jumps!

1 comment:

  1. Carrie, You are doing awesome. Keep up the excellent work. Next Monday I start Month 2 along with the rest of the 1-3-1 group- so we'll be crying- in the fetal position really soon. LOL.

    Leah

    ReplyDelete