Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"Bringin' It" - Day 1

Yesterday, I began my P90X journey with Tony Horton and his (very fit) posse.  What is P90X, you ask?  If you haven't heard of it, I think you might possibly be living under a rock, in a cave, in some remote location or someplace where there is no electricity!!  P90X stands for Power 90 Extreme - a 90 day workout program put out by the company Beachbody and led by the phenomenal trainer Tony Horton.  The infomercials run constantly on television (and I believe hold the #1 spot for infomercials).  Check your local listings to catch one - especially if you've never heard of this program before.  The people in the infomercials are inspiring and do an amazing job showing off their eye-popping 90 day transformations.  I decided I had to be a part of it.  Like a kid on Christmas morning, I was so very excited when this arrived a couple weeks ago.





I had a small(ish) idea of what to expect, but tried not to think about it too too much beforehand.  The whole premise of P90X is that it is an extreme, 90 day workout regimen (and nutrition plan), designed to "confuse" your muscles (using varying moves).  The thinking is that by confusing the muscles, the body never has time to adapt or go into auto-pilot.  You are constantly challenging your muscles and using them in different ways, every day for 90 days.  Every 30 days throughout the program, Tony changes it up so the workout never (by design) gets easy.  There are twelve (TWELVE) extreme workouts in the program!


As it says in today's blog title - yesterday was Day 1 for me.  That meant Back and Chest (with an extra workout of Abs).  I went into it thinking - " I just completed months and months of INSANITY, how much more extreme can this be?"  Let me just put it out there that INSANITY and P90X are two completely different animals!  Back and Chest workout is 52 minutes of varying push ups and pull ups.  52 minutes, 12 sets (repeated twice).  There are weights involved as well.  I had to chuckle when Tony picked up the 45 pound dumbbell and I picked up the 5 pound one (hey, I didn't want to peak on Day 1 - hee hee).  The program also requires use of this bad boy.....





The pull-up bar.  Yikes!  Brings back memories of high school fitness tests, eh?  Of course, Tony offers modifications and "breaks" for those of us who are not ready to go as extreme as he and his devoted clones.  I ended up using a chair to assist me during the pull ups and I still wasn't able to get through too many in a set (leaving plenty of room for improvement).


The verdict?  After workout 1, day 1, I am more sore than I ever was during the months and months of sweating it out with INSANITY.  Which is a good thing!!!  It's obviously effective, I'm doing the moves correctly, and (hopefully) I will look cute in a bathing suit in the very near future.


Today's workout is Plyo.  Hopefully, I'll be able to walk tomorrow.


~Cheers!  

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!! I'm starting P90x next week. This week is my last week of Insanity. Woo Hoo!!! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete